Don’t Fall in the Shopping Trap

Hey, my friend! Welcome to DEEP Talks on Vaptalks, where we talk heart to heart. I’m a guy working in corporate since 2022, learning life’s big lessons. In 2024, I’m here to share them with you to make your life better. Today, let’s talk about not falling into the shopping trap. You might think, “Vap, shopping kaise trap ho sakta hai?” Yes, it can hurt your heart and pocket. Grab your chai, let’s dive in with a story that’ll make you feel it.

In my engineering days, I studied Industrial Economics and Entrepreneurship Development. There, I learned about need and want. Need is what you must have to live, like food, water, home. Want is what you like but don’t need, like fancy clothes or a new phone. Someone’s want can be another’s need, it changes with life. But shopping traps make us buy wants we don’t need, leaving us sad and broke.

Let me tell you about two friends. First, my good friend AP. He bought iPhone 15, earning less than me. I said, “Congrats bhai, but why 15?” He smiled, “Yeh latest hai.” I asked more, “Why buy it?” He said, “Camera acha hai, aur iPhone hai.” His words felt empty, no real reason. He took it on EMI, paying for 1.5 years. My heart felt heavy for him. I saw he bought it for show, social status. “Jane do, Humne ache photos liye uske phone se jab hum ghumne gaye,” but inside, I knew regret would come. That excitement turned to worry, like when you spend on something just to fit in, and later feel empty.

Then, my best friend, PK. He bought an iPhone 13. I shouted, “Bhai, tu bhi? Maine tere se yeh expect nahi kiya, yeh sab paise barbaad karne wala hai!” My voice was full of shock, heart racing with fear for him. But he calmed me, “Bhai, sun. Main content creation shuru kar raha hoon, company trips sponsor karti hai, aur security feature zaroori hai mere kaam ke liye.” He had a good salary, bought in cash, an older model. My anger melted to respect, my heart full of pride. For him, it was a need, not a want. That moment felt like light after dark, a wise choice bringing joy.

You see, my friend, it all depends on perspective. From childhood, if you’ve lived in a 2BHK with AC, a car, and a bike, you naturally become habitual to that lifestyle. For you, those things turn into needs—you can’t imagine adjusting without them. But for someone who never had them, they remain just wants. That’s why it’s so important to understand the difference between needs and wants, and then classify things according to our own circumstances before spending.

Back in my social media marketing and affiliate marketing days, I learned how cleverly these traps are set. Brands run flashy ads saying, “Latest phone, sab khush!” Influencers claim, “Buy this, life change ho jayegi!” Affiliate links tempt us to click and purchase things we don’t even need. I promoted products, earned commissions, and watched people buy on impulse—only to regret it later when bills piled up. That’s the game: marketing plays with our emotions, blurring the line between need and want, making us chase things endlessly, yet never truly happy.

You’re thinking, “Vap, kabhi-kabhi toh hota hai!” And you’re right, Bunny. Even I’ve told myself, “Haan, impulse mein kharid liya.” But it hurts, na? That little high of buying something new fades fast, and regret is what stays behind.
Always ask yourself—Why am I buying this? Is it really for me, or just to show others? Because the truth is, people don’t really care what you own. And if someone stays with you only for your money, trust me, they’ll leave the moment it’s gone.

I’m talking to you, my friend. Maybe you felt that rush buying something fancy, then sad paying bills. I know, in our busy lives, ads pull us in. But you deserve smart choices. Next time, pause, think need or want? Save for what matters, feel free, not trapped. My heart smiles seeing PK happy, creating content, not worried about EMIs.

This is DEEP Talks, you and me, feeling together. Tell me in the comments what’s one thing you bought on impulse, or how you will avoid the trap? I’ll read every word. Next time, we’ll talk about finding peace in money worries. Stay with Vaptalks for corporate stories and these heart chats. So, what’s your plan today? Let’s shop smart, together.

Post a Comment

0 Comments