Corporates Have Friends Too

Welcome, friends, to VAP Talks! I’m VAP, your desi bhai who’s been through the corporate world, just like you, freshers and folks with 2-3 years of experience. Today, I’m sharing a story super close to my heart, finding true friends in the office. Shocked? Thinking, “Arre, VAP, corporate mein dost kaise?” I thought the same! But come along on this emotional ride from tension and sadness to excitement and joy. This is for all you newbies in India, so grab a chai, feel the emotions, and let’s see how office friends became my lifeline!

In 2022, I joined a big IT company, fresh from college, my heart beating fast with excitement, but also a bit scared. After joining the organization, we had to go through training, and for this, we moved to the company’s biggest campus in the South. You know those college talks, “Office life is serious, yaar. Big buildings, cubicles, meetings all day, everyone fighting to get ahead, no friends, just work.” So, I decided, “Bas, professional banna hai.” No extra talks, just focus on work. I’d sit quietly, hardly talking to anyone, thinking that’s how you survive. Are you wondering, “VAP, why so serious?” Because I thought that’s what office life needed!

But I was so wrong! After a few weeks, I saw my colleagues weren’t just boring office people. They were like us, fresh from college, joking, sharing memes. They could be friends, not just “office wale.” Let me tell you about this journey, full of ups and downs.

Training was tough. We had to pass a hard program to stay in the job. The deal? Pass all tests in first attempt with 90% or more to be a top performer, which meant better pay. I didn’t tell my family about this pressure, so failing wasn’t an option. My stomach was tight every day. First part of training 6-hour classes, and after that, I’d stay alone till night, coding, eyes tired, heart racing. I was scared, thinking, “Agar fail hua toh? Mera career khatam?” No friends, no chats, just me and my laptop, full tension.

Then came the big test. I was a nervous wreck, hands shaking as I walked in. The code came up, and I froze. “Arre, yeh kya hai?” My heart sank; I was shaking. I calmed down, answered, submitted, hoping, “At least I’ll get average.” But the score? “Meri toh fatt gayi, yaar!” It was so bad. I felt crushed, almost crying, sitting alone, thinking, “Kahan galti hui? Main toh tech mein theek tha na?” Others did better, and I was like, “Kya main fail ho gaya? Ab kya karun?” I felt so low, like I’d failed myself.

That’s when my soon-to-be friends stepped in. A batchmate, let’s call them RK, saw me looking sad. They patted my shoulder, smiled, and said, “Chill, bhai, tension mat le. Kal hands-on hai, 60% bhi mila toh pass ho jayega.” Their words felt like a small light in my dark mood. Another batchmate, SP, added, “Arre, tu toh tech mein solid hai. Ek test se kya fark padta?” Their smiles and belief in me gave me a little hope. I was still upset, walking to the ECC (our stay place, like a basic hotel), muttering, “Bhagwan, kyun mere saath? Itni mehnat ki, phir bhi yeh haal.” I was even jealous of others who scored high with less effort.

Then, something amazing happened. In the lift, a senior, say AD, asked, “Suna aaj exam tha, same batch se ho?” I nodded, quietly. “Kaisa gaya?” I mumbled, “Not good.” They didn’t laugh. They said, “Koi baat nahi, hands-on pe focus kar. Yeh topics practice kar code likh ke dekh.” Their calm words sparked hope. I thought, “Haan, abhi bhi chance hai!” That night, I didn’t sleep I practiced Java, SQL, everything. RK and SP messaged, “Tu kar lega!” Their support made me feel I wasn’t alone. I told myself, “Yeh toh pehle bhi kiya hai. Result se kya fark? Bas, 90 minutes mein apna best dunga.” Fear was there, but their words gave me strength.

Hands-on test day. I gave everything, excitement building with every line of code. Result? Full marks! I was overjoyed, jumping inside! RK high-fived me, SP screamed happily, “Bola tha na!” I wasn’t just relieved, I was thrilled, like I’d won a battle. Confidence came back: “Ab kuch bhi aa jaye, kar lunga!” That part was hard; many failed, but I made it, thanks to those early friends who lifted me up.

Now, the real friendship story kicks in, this is where it’s all excitement! Second phase, we moved to new branches, meeting new people. First day, I was chilling at my bench when two batchmates, say NK and LK, said, “Hi VAP!” I was shocked, “Arre, tum mera naam kaise jaante ho?” They laughed, “Bhai, hum pehle phase mein tere peeche baith lieu!” I was like, “Sacchi? Ek mahina saath, aur maine notice bhi nahi kiya?” My heart dropped a bit. I’d been so serious, I missed these cool people!

That changed everything. I decided, “Ab colleagues nahi, dost banane hain.” Since I was good at tech, I started helping others, which made it easy to talk and connect. I got close to almost everyone in my branch. NK loved badminton, so we became court buddies, sweating and laughing. LK was into ludo, so we’d play during breaks, giggling like kids. With RK and SP, we’d hang out at the ECC, sip chai, and watch movies in the in-house theater. The vibe? Pure happiness! One evening, we teased NK about their accent, they roasted me back, and we laughed till our stomachs hurt. My heart was full these weren’t just colleagues; they were my gang. Are you feeling the excitement? It was like college all over again!

These friends weren’t just for laughs. They were there in tough times. Once, I messed up the code, and my boss was upset. I was panicking, thinking, “Ab kya bolun?” SP sat with me, helped fix it, and said, “Relax, ho jayega.” NK told a silly joke, making me smile. Their support turned my fear into focus. Another time, I was nervous about a client call. RK said, “Tu solid hai, bas apna best de.” That boost came from their trust in me. When I did well, they cheered like it was their win. My heart felt so warm.

Training ended, projects kicked off, and life got super busy. I moved to Pune, but those friendships? They stayed rock-solid. NK became my closest buddy, we’d call each other, crack up over old memories, and just keep the vibe alive. NK also introduced me to CB, and boom, we became a tight trio. CB was a game-changer, teaching me how to manage money, invest smart, save right, and plan for the future. Those late-night chats about stocks and budgets helped me grow, not just at work but in life. Second phase? I smashed it, became a top performer, and I know my friends’ support, their cheers, advice, and laughs were a huge reason for it. Are you feeling how these bonds made all the difference?

By talking to everyone in my branch, I learned a lot. I saw how different people think and react. Some liked serious talks, others loved jokes, and everyone had a different vibe. This taught me to be kind, show care, and connect better. I understood life better, how to listen, how to support, how to be a good friend. These colleagues, and especially my friends, helped me grow, not just in work but in life.

So, this is what I learned: Corporates have friends too, and they’re your biggest support! They cheer you up when you’re sad, push you when you’re down, and make work fun. As freshers, don’t stay quiet, talk a little, share a laugh. It makes hard days easier and good days awesome. Are you smiling, thinking of your office buddies? Drop a comment, who’s your corporate dost? Next time, I’ll share a story about handling tough bosses. Till then, work hard, but make some dost too. Take care, doston! 😊


Post a Comment

0 Comments